Monday, August 11, 2008

Another frustrated Nationals fan - who'd have known?

Saturday was a pretty eventful day. I went to our company picnic at Mineral Springs park in Pekin. During the picnic, they held a scavenger hunt competition. And if you know me, you know that I am all about scavenger hunts. We divvied up into teams of no more than four, and they gave us a sheet of questions that we had to figure out by going through the park and finding the answers. The questions were like "How many pillars on the building at the pavilion?" and "Whose name is engraved on the plaque next to the kids climbing wall?" We answered all the questions, and in the end, we got 2nd place. Team Picken was first, and if you know the Pickens, you know they're more about scavenger hunts than I am. First place was $200 and second place got us $160, which, split four ways, isn't bad for an hour's work. It really was a lot of fun, and I hope they do another one next year!

Then after the picnic, I went to see Lewis Black perform at the Civic Center Theater. He's one of my favorite comedians of all time, and he didn't disappoint. He was hilarious! My buddy Brad and I each bought a CD and waited in a line of about 300 people to get his autograph. I figured, what's better than a Lewis Black CD, but an autographed Lewis Black CD! Lewis was pleasant to everybody he signed for, and he even took time to pose for some pictures with anybody and everybody who wanted one. When I got up there, he noticed my Nats cap, and hilarity ensued...

Lewis: So, what are wearing a Nationals' cap for in the middle of Illinois?

Tuck: Oh, I've been an Expos fan since I was this high - when they moved to Washington, my loyalty went with them.

Lewis: Yeah, I'm from DC and I'm unfortunately a Nats fan too.

Tuck: Yeah, they're not doing too good this year.

Lewis: They're the third team that's been in Washington - they'll probably leave sometime soon.

Tuck: Nah, they'll stick around I'm sure. They'll turn it around.

Lewis : Oh yeah!?, Well f@*! you!! Listen, we've got a brand new stadium, we get 30,000 people there every night, and blblblbll, we're 24th in payroll!! 24th!! You'd think they'd spend some GD money on the team! If they spent some money, then they'd turn it around...

He was getting really agitated and red in the face talking about it! It was great!! Then Brad's father came in and started commenting about part of Lewis' act - Lewis just turned 60 and he felt old. Brad's dad came up and said that's he's not old just because he's 60 - he knows lots of trees that are 60, and they're not old. They shared a laugh and parted ways, but our conversation was over. Just when it was getting good! He was ranting to me just like he does in his act. It's pretty easy to rant about the Nats these days. Who'd have thunk he was a Nats fan. I knew I liked that guy for a reason!!

No comments: